Last term we have worked on a PBL project titled Spain in the European Union in our year 6's Bilingual Science class.
Based on CLIL approach we have designed a project in which kids created a digital presentation or activities as final product.
The main purpose was that my pupils were responsible for their learning. I shoud act as a guide for the process. This new methodology shocked them at first. This was something completely new in their school life. So I begun offering them the choice to either learn by doing a project (assessment included) or learn traditionally from their teacher's lecture. They voted for the first option: more exciting and working with computers & tablets.
Firstly, we set up five different groups of their choice (4-5 students). Secondly, each group chose which part of the project they would tackle:
- Part 1: Spain, a democratic country (digital presentation)
- Part 2: The European Union (digital presentation)
- Part 3: Spain in the European Union (digital presentation)
- Part 4: Activities (digital activities online)
- Part 5: Evaluation (rubric + kahoot + online test)
The hardest task was to find and select the information they needed. They also used their textbook to check for contents. At every moment guidelines were available on our elearning environment (eScholarium) as well as some webgraphy.
|Pupils could access some guidelines for their project at all times.|
They worked collaboratively in order to reach their goal. Discussion, negotiation, assessment... so many learning processes were involved at the same time... We escaped the limits of our classroom. Meanwhile some kids were in our class working on their tablets connected to our class wifi spot some others worked in the computers room downstairs. And we escaped the limits of our fixed class schedule as some days they voluntarily remain in class or the library at break time.
Finally, here are their final products. So proud of you, kids!
Part 1. Spain, a democratic country
- Google presentation by Melina, María José & Naiara (Year 6B)
- Genially by Natalia, Marta, Rocío & Inés (Year 6A)
2. The European Union
- Google presentation by Alberto, Miguel, Nassim & Fran Núñez (Year 6A)
- Canva by Ana, Carla & Esmeralda (Year 6B)
3. Spain in the European Union
- Google Presentation by David, Daniel, Álex & Jesús (Year 6B)
- Prezi presentation by Fran Gil, Aarón, Didier (Year 6A)
- Games from Ethan, Emilio and Hugo (Year 6B)
- Activities from Helena, Miguel Ángel, Rebeca, Daniela and Pilar (Year 6A):
- Self-evaluation Rubric by Rodrigo, Alejandro, Javier & teacher Francisco.
- Test by Isabel, Diana & Celia.
- Test by Rodrigo, Alejandro, Javier & Pedro.